[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch the Right Tool?

Bill Binko bill.binko at mapshine.com
Sun Dec 2 14:59:15 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at FreeSwitch as a platform for an area where we're
expanding our business.  I was wondering if I could get your guidance on
whether it's the Right Tool for what I need.  I realize this is
potentially a Troll, and I apologize, but this seems so far to be a
small, positive group and I thought I'd just come out and ask.

First some background.  I have several clients who want various
value-added phone services.  Basically, they want IVR systems with some
bells and whistles such as recording calls, integration with their
websites, and "follow me" services.  My company has done similar work
for clients on the GIS (mapping) side, and I have personally worked with
Asterisk as a true smart PBX solution, so we are considering adding this
to our offerings.

We have a SIP-based VOIP provider in the colocation site we use that has
attractive pricing and we have good direct connectivity to them, so we
would like to this to be a SIP-only solution (no TDM hardware, etc.).

As we started looking at doing this with Asterisk, we found a few
things.  First, there are some real issues getting clear calls through
Asterisk when there is no TDM hardware in place. This seems to be due to
some timing issues, and seems to be worsened by some RTC changes on
Linux 2.6.x.  I wasn't surprised that there were some issues, but we
have had a very hard time getting it to run well on a clean distro such
as CentOS without custom kernel compiles, etc.

Perhaps most concerning, we aren't seeing the kind of community support
we found (and came to rely on) in the open-source GIS space.  Posts to
the asterisk-users board get lost on the way to the list, and when they
do make it through, they get responses like "buy a Digium card just for
timing".  Well, in our 1U servers with only a PCI-Express slot, that's
going to be a trick.

So, I quite literally went to Google and searched for "Asterisk
alternative" and FreeSwitch came up all over the place.  I installed it
on our server and had it running in about an hour with only minimal
pain.  And the sound quality (so far) has been very good when just
playing recorded sounds.

Here's my concerns about it so far - let me know if they're unfounded.

1) It seems to be reliant on a huge collection of external tools.  I'm
ok with running the FreeSwitch recommended versions of all of them, but
isn't going to be a bit fragile as these tools mature separately?
2) It seems young (as a project, not the folks on it).  Things like this
post to the homepage worry me: http://www.freeswitch.org/node/103 as it
looks a bit cavalier.
3) It seems to have more options and less guidance that I expected.
This may be a first-impression thing, but there are many ways to do
everything (Dial Plan, Integration languages, etc.).  That's sometimes
good (Perl took that approach for years) and sometimes awful (the
competing opinions get in the way).

We can contribute back to this project, both with
development/debugging/etc. time and with documentation help, and right
now it *feels* like the right choice.  However, I thought I'd ask for
some help getting past the concerns above before we jumped in.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Bill Binko
bill.binko at mapshine.com