[Freeswitch-users] Stability vs Features

Vikram Rangnekar vr at udel.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:57:33 PDT 2006

I agree that the modular nature of freeswitch allows for greater
flexibility and probably stability. I put my thoughts to the list just
so that everyone understands the great need for a super stable
switch core and hopefully get more developers excited on that core
part of Freeswitch.

On 8/31/06, Brian West <brian.west at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Vikram Rangnekar wrote:
>
> > I assume the goal here is to develop a carrier grade soft-switch. I
> > understand features are great but features would cost us. As we add
> > features the stability would degrade. I agree that adding C# support
> > is an intresting idea but do we really need it adding mono into
> > FreeSwitch I understand its a great thing for C# developers but mono
> > is not super-stable.
> >

> Since mod_mono is a module you can leave it out and not chance any
> stability issues if thats your choice.  We don't strong arm you into
> a way of doing things. (ie we don't glue the lego bricks together)
>
> > I personal opinion is to work towards defining a minimum set of
> > features that are absolutely critical and then making those features
> > stable and relatively bug free.
> >

> That is our goal also.  The core MUST be stable thats the bottom line.
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4613750174577358330&q=cluecon
>
> That video is Anthony speaking about freeswitch at cluecon.  Just pay
> attention to the audio.. the video is blurry.
>
> > In Freeswitch much of the features or protocol support is based on
> > external libraries this can be a good thing and a bad thing too. Since
> > each of those libraries would probably have bugs and that means making
> > sure that those libraries are also actively maintained.
>
> Yes we do depend on external libs.  But we also push fixes and
> changes back to those projects so that stays a two way street.  If
> one becomes un-maintained we'll just take over on that and continue
> with maintaining it.
>
> The bottom line is STABLE CORE.   The core will extend itself to
> building features with ease once its complete.
>
> /b

Vikram Rangnekar