[Freeswitch-dev] Linux or Windows?

Anthony Minessale anthmct at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 15:49:16 EST 2007

From: "comments at freecle.com" <comments at freecle.com>
To: freeswitch-dev at lists.freeswitch.org
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2007 1:12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-dev] Linux or Windows?

Comments and questions:

1.  I tried to compile with VC++ Express 2008, and got so many errors I
have not figured it out yet.

>>> IIRC you also need the "platform SDK" when using the express version.

2.  The Trixswitch ico worked great right off ... much better than
Trixbox, which seemed to required a Microsoft-style activation code and
contact with the home office via internet before it would work.
>>> Doesn't appear to be a question, more of an observation.

3.  I am a hazy about the programming interface to Freeswitch ... is
 there
a tcp or udp socket to which I can just send commands?
>>>You can use a tcp socket connection with mod_event_socket
>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Event_Socket
>>> or via XML RPC with mod_xml_rpc

4.  Also, it seems like trixswitch does not have the source code for
freeswitch in the ico... is that true?
>>> I don't know but i bet they would be willing to add it.

5.  I would like to get a few hours of Anthony's time to film a code
walkthrough that could be posted on the website.
>>> dunno maybe =D

Thanks

Edward
Seattle

MSN:anthony_minessale at hotmail.com
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale at gmail.com

sip:888 at conference.freeswitch.org
googletalk:conf+888 at conference.freeswitch.org
pstn:213-799-1400

> Another consideration is that since our code is cross-platform, it
 has to
> have an abstraction layer to normalize some bits of code to be
 platform
> agnostic.
> One major issue with this is that oftentimes, when a function that is
> commonly used
> in UNIX is missing in windows, a poor substitute is written to fill
 in the
> void.
> This can lead to assumptions that it's robust when it isn't in the
 case of
> things
> like precision timing (many gettimeofday emulator functions are
 completely
> inaccurate
> and give the impression that the windows is not as good). We do our
 best
> to make
> sure we have it working on all platforms but to really succeed, we
 need
> the help of
> many people who regularly use each platform to test and provide
 feedback
> about their
> favorite platform.  For a high scale operation any variant of UNIX
 will be
> a better choice than windows from at least a cost standpoint since
 the
> version of windows that can take advantage of several CPUs is much
 more
> expensive than the regular version of windows and also if you plan to
 do
> any development, the free version of the compiler is not really so
 great
> so you will end up having to buy the MSVC 2008 as well.
>
> The most common used platform during core development is currently
 rhel4
> iirc which is more or less the same as centos4 the only reason for
 that
> choice is the particular dual-cpu box with onboard RAID I do my dev
 on
> only worked for RHEL due to silly binary drivers where something
 claims
> they support linux and only gives you a redhat rpm (but that's
 another
> rant).  Nonetheless, we move  around and test the code on all
 platforms we
> support, *but*, linux currently still receives the most total hours
 of dev
> time to date.
>
> We do have many Windows users, so maybe they could chime in about how
> [...]
    {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",

http://mail.yahoo.com