[Freeswitch-users] Current timestamp variable in dialplan?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at freeswitch.open.source.it
Fri Nov 4 17:42:20 UTC 2022

On Friday 04 November 2022 at 18:25:21, Brian West wrote:

> > I'm currently using cdr_odbc - do you see any problem in using both?
>
> No issue at all, cdr_odbc gives you a fraction of the info that xml_cdr
> does.

Okay, thanks.

> > Also, just for a definitive answer, do I take it that there is no
> > variable which the dialplan can reference in order to get the current
> > timestamp?
>
> I'd not recommend doing that, because every time you do a get var, you
> cause a pool allocation and doing this in a loop will make your session
> pool swell at the rate of whatever you're calling get_var on.  Doing
> anything at all inline with the dialplan is not the right approach.  your
> logic and info should be all external, keying off events either on ESL or
> custom modules you wrote.

Hm, this sounds like an interesting and important conceptual aspect of the way
FreeSwitch works which I suspect I haven't fully "got".

Can you point me at the documentation which explains this, for people who are
more used to procedural programming, and show how we should be thinking about
FreeSwitch dialplans instead?

I'm certainly keen on using FreeSwitch in as efficient a manner as possible :)

Thanks,

Antony.

--
In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

 - Terry Pratchett

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.