Concern about repository server and conditions

Laura Smith n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at protonmail.ch
Tue Mar 22 13:46:46 UTC 2022

Hi

Like many on here, I'm unconvinced by the sudden necessity to build a wall behind the repository server.

In particular I don't buy the argument that it fights against third-party tampering, since surely that is what GPG signing of the repo is for ?

But I digress. I have a *MAJOR* problem with its implementation.

Namely I am told to go to "https://id.signalwire.com/signup/account/new" and sign up for an account.

Fine, except that action has an "By continuing you agree to our Legal Policies".

This is problematic for two reasons:

1) Many people, by virtue of their employment conditions, are not in a position to enter into legally binding contracts on behalf of their employer.

2) But, perhaps MOST IMPORTANTLY is that these "Legal Policies" include Section 9 "LICENSES AND PROPRIETARY RIGHT".

A brief read of that licensing section seems to go firmly against the grain of OSS with its many prohibitions.

I don't like it. I don't like the direction of travel that this implies.

I think this might be the beginning of me pulling Freeswitch from my infrastructure, and the end of me recommending it to others.

Laura