[Freeswitch-users] Problem with repository server?

Brian : brians at iptel.co
Fri Mar 18 20:35:00 UTC 2022

Freeswitch team sent this info out to mailing list.

Q: What is prompting this change?
A: We’re making this change for several reasons:
So the team that created and maintains FreeSWITCH can better understand and
communicate with our community.
So we can take what we learn and improve both FreeSWITCH and SignalWire.
So we can ensure that FreeSWITCH aligns with new security and regulatory
requirements.
So you can be confident that the packages you’re running in your stack come
directly from us.
So packages are much less likely to have been secretly modified by a
malicious actor.
So we can be sure that we’re not directly facilitating illegal use cases.

Q: What about the source code on GitHub?
A: This change does not affect open source code, which will continue to be
freely available on GitHub.

This does not in any way change the license to the software.

It may affect how you obtain FreeSWITCH dependencies or FreeSWITCH packages
from our package repositories such as our Debian repository.

Q: What does “packages” refer to? The commercial packages? The packages for
Debian etc.? Or the raw code/releases?
A: This refers to binary package repositories such as Debian repo.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this change, please
come to our Community Slack channel and let us know.

On Friday, March 18, 2022, Antony Stone <
Antony.Stone at freeswitch.open.source.it> wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2022 at 01:32:38, Howard Lin wrote:
>
>> You can put a token in the https url. So you'll have the following in the
>> source.list file:
>> "deb https://<token_name>:<token>@files.freeswitch.org/repo/deb/xxx/xxx"
>> <deb_release> main"
>
> Ah, thank you.
>
> I'm still intrigued as to why this has been implemented.

>> > Hm, no, certainly never seen that notice on this list.  What date was
it
>> > sent out?
>> >
>> > Also, how does this work with cron-apt?  Can I put the token into
>> > sources.list, or what?
>> >
>> > I've never seen something like this needed for open source software
>> > before - what was the reason for introducing it?
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> > Antony.
>
> --
> The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
>
>  - Oscar Wilde
>
>                                                    Please reply to the
list;
>                                                          please *don't*