[Freeswitch-users] Trying to get short hostname

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at freeswitch.open.source.it
Thu Oct 28 12:50:38 UTC 2021

Hi.

I'm using FreeSwitch 1.10.7 as a client registering to other PBXs as well as a
SIP server itself.

I am setting the user-agent string in the SIP profile, such as:

<param name="user-agent-string" value="FS $${CFGver} $${hostname}"/>

The variable $${CFGver}} is a version string I'm definiing in vars.xml

This is working, but it gives me the FQDN of the machine as $${hostname}} and
I really only want the machine name without the domain.

I've found
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Regular+Expression and
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/mod_dptools:+regex and
I've tried to use them to cut the domain off the value of $${hostname} but with
no success:

In vars.xml:
<X-PRE-PROCESS cmd="set" data="shorthostname=${regex($${hostname}|([^\.]*).*|
%1)}"/>

This results in the variable shorthostname being assigned the value:
 	%{regex(abcd.efgh.tld|([^\.]*).*|%1)}

where abcd.efgh.tld is the server's FQDN.

Instead of doing that in vars.xml and creating the variable shorthostname, I
tried putting the regex into the SIP profile:

<param name="user-agent-string" value="FS $${CFGver} ${regex($${hostname}|
([^\.]*).*|%1)}"/>

This ends up with precisely the same result.  The ${regex(....)} function
simply isn't being executed.

Given that the machine's hostname is also available from the system command
"hostname -s" I decided to try that instead:

In vars.xml:
<X-PRE-PROCESS cmd="set" data="shorthostname=${system(hostname -s)}"/>

Or in the SIP profile definition:
<param name="user-agent-string" value="FS $${CFGver} ${system(hostname -s)}"/>

These both produce the output:
	FS 0.65 ${system(hostname -s)}

In other words, the ${system(....)} command isn't working any more than
${regex(....)} did.

What am I doing wrong please?

How can I get the machine's short hostname into a user-agent string for
registration to a server?

Thanks,

Antony.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.