[Freeswitch-users] Configuring mod_portaudio for Debian built-in (JACK?) audio

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Thu May 13 22:52:20 UTC 2021

I had it working at home, but when I installed the switch at the bookstore,
there is nothing to be heard on the audio ports. Now I'm trying to debug it
remotely, which is difficult because I can't hear the speaker.

The system is an HP ProDesk 400. It has a "Audio-out/Audio-in combo jack"
on the front panel. It has an "audio-in" jack, and an "audio-out jack for
powered devices" on the back. When it was working at home, I plugged
powered speakers into the audio-out jack on the back.

pa devlist shows this:
freeswitch at pbx> pa devlist
0;HDA Intel PCH: CX20632 Analog (hw:0,0)(ALSA);2;2;r,i,o
1;HDA Intel PCH: CX20632 Alt Analog (hw:0,2)(ALSA);2;0;
2;HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3)(ALSA);0;8;
3;HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1 (hw:0,7)(ALSA);0;8;
4;HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2 (hw:0,8)(ALSA);0;8;
5;HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 3 (hw:0,9)(ALSA);0;8;
6;HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 4 (hw:0,10)(ALSA);0;8;
7;sysdefault(ALSA);128;128;
8;front(ALSA);0;2;
9;surround40(ALSA);0;2;
10;surround51(ALSA);0;2;
11;surround71(ALSA);0;2;
12;hdmi(ALSA);0;8;
13;lavrate(ALSA);128;128;
14;samplerate(ALSA);128;128;
15;speexrate(ALSA);128;128;
16;upmix(ALSA);8;8;
17;vdownmix(ALSA);6;6;
18;default(ALSA);128;128;
19;dmix(ALSA);0;2;

I have no idea what most of his is, and the HDMI in the list is confusing,
because the system has a DisplayPort connector, but no HDMI.

I assume device #0 is the connectors on the back. I also assume that when
it bridge to "portaudio/auto_answer" that it will use the only device that
is configured with a "o", which is device #0.

One difference between home and the current location is the addition of a
10' audio cable between the computer and the speaker, but I can't see how
this would make a difference.

An advanced question is how to use a portaudio microphone. I plugged a
microphone into the "audio-in" on the back, but this isn't working either.
Is this because that port needs line-level audio? The HP manual says the
front audio panel connector can be used for a microphone. Is that portaudio
device #1? How to I configure that device for input?

--
Steve