[Freeswitch-users] Help Troubleshooting Freeswitch Lockup

Daniel Schreiber daniel.schreiber at hrz.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon May 25 20:47:46 UTC 2020

Hi,

today I had a freeze of freeswitch on a machine running BigBlueButton
(which ship their own freeswitch packages: FreeSWITCH Version
1.10.4-dev+git~20200515T214527Z~e1f63ce5b1~64bit (git e1f63ce 2020-05-15
21:45:27Z 64bit))

I had this kind of lockup 3 times in the last 2 months and I tried to
track down the cause of the problem but I failed.

BigBlueButton uses the conference module for audio switching. All
connections come in via a Websocket. In front of the FreeSwitch
websocket there is an nginx reverse proxy which says it cannot connect
to the upstream (FreeSwitch) server when the lockup occurs. We have
setup conference dialin from our Cisco call manager. During the lockup
FreeSwitch does not accept connections from the call manager as well.
Today no calls from call manager were involved.

In the logs I observed that at some time almost all participants of a
conference were thrown out and calls terminated with MEDIA_ERROR hangup
cause. Participants came from different autonomous systems, I checked
that there was no network interruption. CPU usage on the system was
below 20%, memory below 40%. The number of participants during start of
lockup was 34 distributed across 8 conferences. During the 40 minutes
lockup 4 conferences ended, the others continued to switch.

FreeSwitch continued to operate as expected after ca 40 Minutes without
any operator interactions. Could you please give some advice on how to
find the cause of this problem?

Thanks alot,

Daniel
--