[Freeswitch-users] Docker or a traditional VM-based deployment?

Flavio Donadio flavio at donadio.com.br
Fri Aug 7 17:06:55 UTC 2020

Hello, all!

I am deploying a small FreeSWITCH-based PBX for my business. It’s a really simple and light configuration: around 10 extensions, one SIP trunk, conferencing (audio only). call recording (user started), very simple IVR, fax reception… So simple that even I can do it myself! :D About performance: the most demanding scenario is 10 simultaneous calls, every single one being recorded.

Since my business is going “officeless”, I will host this PBX in the cloud. I still haven’t chosen my cloud provider for this, but Azure looks tempting, as I’m already a Microsoft customer (Office 365). Other options are Amazon and Oracle...

I’ve been reading a lot about containerization and, although I don't need most of the advantages provided by it, I will be hosting other apps (web-based internal business apps) through other mechanisms (microservices, serverless, etc.), so I thought: maybe a single VM, only for my little PBX, is overkill.

Questions:

1. Is Docker hosting more cost-effective for FreeSWITCH?

2. Is there any other advantage, besides cost (and the inherent advantages of containerization, of course), in hosting a FreeSWITCH-based PBX in a container?

3. If not, what is the absolute minimum VM config I should use?

Important: I don’t want to use a third-party service. I want to manage my own FreeSWITCH installation.

Kind Regards,
Flavio