[Freeswitch-users] SIP handset connection issues

Sam van Herwaarden svanherwaarden at precisionag.org
Mon Dec 9 09:36:50 UTC 2019

Hi,

I often have issues where my SIP handset can't seem to connect to my
FreeSWITCH server. I'm using Zoiper on iOS and the default freeswitch
installation (freeswitch-meta-all) on Debian Buster. The configuration is
mostly vanilla - I disabled mod_signalwire, enabled mod_flite and
mod_erlang_event, changed the default password and set up an extension that
uses mod_erlang_event but that's all.

On the server ports 5060, 5070 and 5080 are open on TCP+UDP, ports 3478 and
3479 are open on UDP, and the port range 16384-32768 is also open on UDP.
The server runs on a node on DigitalOcean.

The issue I'm encountering is that sometimes my handset registers just
fine, but other times I get timeout/unreachable errors. Nothing seems to
change about the configuration though - I don't restart the server or
anything like that. Also, I do see connection attempts on the server from
unknown IPs (I'm assuming these are malicious bots trying to get into the
system) - this suggests to me that the server is reachable. The system can
be unreachable (to me) for days, but then be reachable for days. I have not
been able to recognize a pattern.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be going on? Can it be
something with my home networking setup? I would be happy to try a
different SIP app if anyone has recommendations, it might be easier to
debug this problem if I can get more verbose error messages than what
Zoiper provides me with.

Kind regards,
Sam