[Freeswitch-users] Enterprise/Production Quality?

Matthew Grooms matthew at brightfire.net
Wed May 30 18:48:10 UTC 2018

I'd like to hear how the organization supporting the Advantage program
views the legality of distributing patches to MPL code to program
partners but not the community. Isn't that one of the core properties of
the MPL license? Sure, you can link non-MPL software to it if you create
a separate commercial module from whole cloth. But if you modify MPL
code with the intent to distribute outside the boundaries of your
organization, my understanding is that you must freely publish those
modifications to all. Dual licensing software is a simple matter if you
own 100% copyright to the code. You absolutely have the right to do that
( see Qt's GPL vs commercial license ). But to re-license code that is a
collection of patches from multiple authors, you need the consent from
all of those that have contributed before changing that license. A lot
of projects have gone through the pain of re-licensing code and it
involved reaching out to all contributing parties and gaining their
consent ( search the mailing lists of the Xen project or Wine for
examples ).

All that being said, I completely understand the need for a commercial
arm of a software project. You can't feed your family on good will. I
don't think anyone would argue that it shouldn't be done. But a typical
model for this involves additional commercial module offerings and
commercial support offerings. Can you help us understand how your early
release program works with respect to code code that's licensed under
the MPL?

Thanks,

-Matthew