[Freeswitch-users] Achieving TLS + SRTP for inbound calls

David P davidswalkabout at gmail.com
Thu May 24 05:27:02 UTC 2018

While waiting for suggestions, I tried more things. In particular, I tested
whether gentls_cert was present in our FS install (which is at
/opt/freeswitch/ on ubuntu).

It is present, but the CA root cert step writes to
{prefix}/etc/freeswitch/tls/CA/ instead of {prefix}/conf/ssl/CA/. In
particular, the root CA step generates:

etc/freeswitch/tls/
  cafile.pem

etc/freeswitch/tls/CA/
  cacert.pem
  cakey.pem
  config.tpl

And the server cert step generates:

etc/freeswitch/tls/
  agent.pem

etc/freeswitch/tls/CA/
  cacert.srl

Reviewing agent.pem shows it's fine:
openssl x509 -noout -inform pem -text -in
/opt/freeswitch/etc/freeswitch/tls/agent.pem

But it's owned by user root group root, so:
cd /opt/freeswitch/etc/freeswitch/tls/
chmod 640 agent.pem CA/cacert.pem
chown root.freeswitch agent.pem CA/cacert.pem

Then I edited /opt/freeswitch/etc/freeswitch/vars.xml to set
internal_ssl_enable and external_ssl_enable to true.

Then I restarted FS. I checked the CLI and it shows "WS SETUP FAILED"
repeatedly. *Any suggestion?*

Blazing ahead...then I exposed the public IP of the FS machine under a
subdomain of the CA root cert's domain. (I used a wildcard subdomain for
-org when generating both certs; maybe giving a wildcard this way is
unnecessary or counterproductive.)

Now, the part that puzzles me: I'm already using a "real CA" cert in order
to serve my verto client files over https from my DNS name, so browsers
won't show security warnings. But I bet I need to have the same CA root
cert installed in FS as I use in the webserver, right? I saw the note that
commercial certs should work, but *it's not clear what steps to follow to
install one*.

Cheers,
David