[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH behind NAT

Roman Dissauer roman at dissauer.net
Tue Jan 30 10:42:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

comments below

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Roman Dissauer

RDI SOLUTIONS e.U.
Rosasgasse 13/24
1120 Wien, Österreich
T: +43 1 3530349 - 10
F: +43 1 3530349 - 99
roman.dissauer at rdi.at
www.rdi.at

> Am 30.01.2018 um 06:15 schrieb jungle boogie <jungleboogie0 at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice? I'll update the docs, if it's needed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thus said Jungle Boogie on Sun, 28 Jan 2018 17:51:40 -0800
>> Hi All,
>> I have some questions about this page and what folks do when freeswitch is behind NAT:
>> https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/NAT+Traversal
>> 1. Do ports need to be opened on the firewall under all circumstances? UDP ports for RTP, for instance.
on internal profile you’ll need to open ports otherwise UA can’t register.
on external profile you only need to open ports when you get inbound calls without an active register (ip auth calls).
>> 2. Is this always a good idea to enable in sip_profiles/internal.xml?
>> <param name="nat-options-ping" value="true“/>
if you have UA on the internal profile which are behind NAT themselves it is a good idea to keep the pinhole open in the customers firewall.
>> 3. Is it necessary/recommended to have STUN enabled in vars.xml AND setup the nat-options-ping?
if you mean STUN for registering with external gateways it depends on your firewall config
>> 4. my sip_profile/internal.xml has this:
>> <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="auto-nat"/>
>> <param name="ext-sip-ip" value="auto-nat"/>
>> Is this an improvement over what's  in confluence of:
>> <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="$${external_rtp_ip}“/>
with auto-nat FS checks your IP and if it is RFC1918 range than it enables nat helper features.
>> 5. If the endpoints are configured to connect using TCP, does any of this change what's above?
>> thanks!
no changes here...