[Freeswitch-users] Options for initiating call from browser (not WebRTC)

Oivvio Polite mylists at polite.se
Wed May 3 14:41:37 MSD 2017

I have a simple call recording solution set up with a Twilio-like PaaS.

The user interacts with a web app where she enters a destination number.
My web app then instructs  the PaaS to

   1. Call the users phone
   2. Wait for the user to answer
   3. Start a recording.
   4. Connect the destination number.

The resulting wav is available for the user to download in the web app.

I now want to replace the PaaS with FreeSwitch. I've done a lot of
experimenting with FS during the last year, and managed to get
callrecording of PSTN and WebRTC calls to work.

With those calls origination was from PSTN or WebRTC. Now I want to do
origination with a HTTP request. When leafing through the FreeSwitch
book from PACKT I see that I have multiple options for doing this.

1. fs_cli

Have the browser talk to a separate web app (written in node or python
or whatever) that the initiates the call with fs_cli.

2. mod_httapi

Have the browser talk to a webapp that talks to FS via mod_httapi. In
this scenario I can't find any info on how to originate calls in
mod_httapi though.

3. mod_event_socket

Have a the browser talk to a webapp that talks to FS via
mod_event_socket.

In all of these scenarios I figure that I'll have the webapp running on
the same box as FS and that I'll do all authentication/authorization of
the user in the webapp.

But which option should I go with?

regards Oivvio