[Freeswitch-users] OPUS Codec

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon May 1 23:03:30 MSD 2017

Does freeswitch support transcoding from OPUS to G711? How well does this
work in theory? Having full HD come in via OPUS from the phone, and then
transcoding to crappy G711. Does it sound funny?

We are thinking that OPUS has superior audio quality, and can withstand up
to 30 percent packet loss without any audio distorition. However, I would
say the majority of our users calls as still to the PSTN which only speaks
G711.

How much processing power would it take to transcode from OPUS to G711?

How well is the OPUS codec implemented on newer IP phones?

I hear the Yealink supports OPUS with their new S line of phones, but I
also heard they pulled support for it?

Polycom seems to only support it on the VVX 500 and VVX 600, but you have
to disable video according to the 5.4 release notes. OPUS must be processor
intensive I assume if it can't run OPUS and video at the same time. Have
any idea if the newer VVX, like the 411, 501, and 601 have this same
limitation? I know they have faster processors and ram.