[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch Dependencies

Richard Melville richardm at cellularity.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 17:23:44 UTC 2017

On 8 June 2017 at 17:01, Michael Jerris <mike at jerris.com> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Richard Melville <richardm at cellularity.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> I haven't used or built Freeswitch yet, but I'm getting closer to that
> point.  I will be building from source.  Having looked at the documentation
> I can see that Debian is preferred, and the use of distros in general.
> However, I don't use distros, but rather build my own systems from scratch.
>
> I've looked at the Centos page ( https://freeswitch.org/conflue
> nce/display/FREESWITCH/CentOS+7+and+RHEL+7 ) and under "Building from
> source" there appears to be a list of dependencies.  I already have most of
> those dependencies installed (other than the codecs) but I have three
> questions which maybe somebody can answer.
>
> The first is: can openssl be substituted with libressl, which I use?
>

> Not sure, depends if libressl has the required pieces we need for
> dtls-srtp and all the required ciphers required by the browsers for webrtc.

Thanks, I suppose the answer is to give it a try.

> The second is: "mongo-c-driver-devel" suggests that mongodb is a
> dependency of Freeswitch.  I've seen no mention of mongodb anywhere in
> either the book, or the documentation generally, so why is this listed as a
> dependency?
>

> Its a module, if you don’t want that module, its not needed.

That's what I thought; thanks for the heads up.

> The third is: there is no mention of package version numbers anywhere, so
> how can I find if there are any issues with particular versions?
>

> We don’t test a vast array of different package versions, we do testing
> based on the ones for the distros we package for.  The versions in Debian 8
> are well tested, other versions are much less well tested or not tested at
> all.  As for other libs, use the ones in our stash project for dep libs
> when not otherwise available.  Creating extensive documentation for
> building on your own distro would be far more work than even adding support
> for a new distro, and we don’t have any plans to create that.  I’m happy to
> respond to some specific questions, but there are limits to the amount of
> time that it makes sense for us to spend on issues like this for a single
> person.

Again, I suppose the answer is to just try the build with my versions (most
of which are fairly recent -- maybe too recent, but I'll see) and if there
are any problems with a particular package then refer back to Debian 8.

--
Richard Melville
Systems Architect