[Freeswitch-users] RTP Auto Switch behaviour on EC2

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Mon Jul 17 16:42:57 UTC 2017

"Freeswitch always sends RTP traffic from it's private IP", Because thats
all it CAN do, the public IP isn't directly bound on the system so it can't
send from the public IP.

/b

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Sean Ingham <sean at missionlabs.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm running FreeSwitch on an AWS EC2 with config as per the wiki EC2 page.
>
> external_rtp_ip & bind_server_ip are both set to the box's public AWS
> Elastic IP - as is ext_rtp_ip on all profiles.
>
> I'm running a WebRTC gateway also in AWS. I can see that SDPs from
> Freeswitch to the gateway all include Freeswitch's public IP as desired,
> however when the call is answered Freeswitch always sends RTP traffic from
> it's private IP. Then a second or 2 later Freeswitch sees incoming RTP from
> the gateway to it's public IP address and RTP auto swtiching behaviour
> kicks in, resulting in a line like this in FS logs:
>
> switch_rtp.c:6954 Auto Changing audio port from 172.31.x.x:31196 to
> 52.17.x.x:31196
>
> As it happens, the gateway is able to receive media from either private or
> public IP as the box is in the same subnet, but in around 30% of cases at
> the point this switching occurs the call audio drops. (I'm guessing the
> gateway has issues stitching together the rtp streams from 2 different
> sources.)
>
> I've tried experimenting with the disable_rtp_auto_switch parameter, but
> seems to me a cleaner solution would be to have Freeswitch send RTP from
> it's public IP in the first place, and I can't understand why it's not
> doing that given it's negotiated to use the public IP in it's SDP.
>
> Can anyone provide any explanation for the behaviour I'm currently seeing,
> or suggest how I can get FS to set the initial outgoing RTP port correctly?
>

> Thanks,
> Sean.

> http://confluence.freeswitch.org

*Brian West*
brian at freeswitch.org

*Twitter: @FreeSWITCH , @briankwest*

http://www.freeswitchbook.com
http://www.freeswitchcookbook.com

Book a phone call (CST) <https://freeswitch.com/appointment>

Allison prompts for FreeSWITCH:

*https://www.gofundme.com/allison-prompts-for-freeswitch*
<https://www.gofundme.com/allison-prompts-for-freeswitch>

Got Bugs? Report them here <https://freeswitch.org/jira>! | Reddit:
/r/freeswitch <https://www.reddit.com/r/freeswitch>

*T:*+19184209001 | *F:*+19184209002 | *M:*+1918424WEST (9378)
*Skype:*briankwest