[Freeswitch-users] AWS Instance Recommendations

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:41:03 MSK 2017

the overall performance has never been an issue in virtualized
installations. It's the stability that is an issue, because of noisy
neighbors. Sometimes you just don't get enough CPU cycles to send your
RTP packet on-time.

I've done some tests with the help of Sevana Aqua software that
compares the recorded audio with original, and with 10-20 parallel
calls, very often I got some distortions in one or more calls. I tried
several Xen and KVM hosting providers, including DigitalOcean and
Linode. I don't think AWS is different in any sense.

Also I had my small PBX on a Xen virtual machine, and later moved it
to a hosted dedicated ARM (scaleway.com), and the voice quality has
become significantly more clear and stable, even that the geographical
distance is about 600km longer.

So, if you have the possibility not to process your RTP media on a
virtual machine, don't do this :)