[Freeswitch-users] More pixelated video canvas on larger number of users

Chad Phillips chad at apartmentlines.com
Mon Oct 10 20:51:53 MSD 2016

Running Verto/mod_conference videoconference on 1.6.11, I’ve noticed that
the entire canvas resolution seems more pixelated when the number of users
connected to the videoconference goes up.

If just one person is connected, the image is very consistent and clear,
but getting into the 7-10 person range, the quality drops noticeably. And
I’m not talking about the quality of one particular video on the canvas,
but the entire canvas quality.

I’ve done a recording of a videoconference on the server with a larger
number of users, and the video quality there is clear and consistent, so it
doesn’t seem to be an issue with either receiving or muxing the feeds, but
in how the end user is receiving the muxed video.

I tried playing with the the ‘video-quality’ and ‘video-codec-bandwidth’
conference params — increasing the video-quality from 1 to 3 didn’t seem to
have much of an impact, increasing the video-codec-bandwidth from 1mb to
2mb used quite a bit more CPU, but didn’t seem to positively impact the
video quality, either.

Curious if I’m missing something in the config, or if there’s something
else I can do to improve the video quality with a larger number of users.

Chad