[Freeswitch-users] Video conference with screensharing. Good quality without high CPU usage.

Александр Дружилов alexdruzhilov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:45:36 MSK 2016

Hello everybody!

My case is: make video conference (with layout 1x1 only) and with
possibility to share screen or video from camera. The main problem for me
is a high CPU usage for good quality video (for example screen sharing
1920x1280.

I use latest version of Freeswitch and mod_sofia.

My config in mod_conference is:
      <param name="video-mode" value="mux"/>
      <param name="video-layout-name" value="1x1"/>
      <param name="video-fps" value="5"/>
      <param name="video-codec-bandwidth" value="1mb"/>
      <param name="video-canvas-size" value="1920x1080"/>
      <param name="video-quality" value="1"/>
      <param name="interval" value="40"/>
      <param name="conference-flags"
value="wait-mod|audio-always|manage-inbound-video-bitrate"/>

In case of "mux" with this configuration if somebody tries to send his
video from camera (800x600) then everybody will see him bordered by black
canvas. But if I will set video-canvas-size = 800x600, then if somebody
tries to share his screen in resolution 1920x1280 then everybody will see
only 800x600 and quality will be not really good. The same situation with
the video-fps parameter.

My questions are:
1) If I have only 1x1 layout, so what video-mode should I use for best
quality and lowest CPU usage? transcode or mux?
2) How to make screen sharing video stream and camera video stream to have
different resolution/bitrate/fps?
3) Should I use mod_verto for better quality/performance?
4) What kind of optimizations could you recommend me for better
quality/performance?