[Freeswitch-users] Security vs compatibility / NAT etc

Colin Morelli colin.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:39:42 MSD 2016

Rick,

(Sorry for the long email, hopefully it's helpful)

It sounds like you're mostly concerned with FS initiating calls to handsets
behind NAT, is that correct?

If so, what you probably want is SIP outbound (RFC 5626). It's the best way
to avoid NAT issues with clients. Under this model, clients keep a
persistent connection open to the server. The server is responsible for
using that connection to deliver INVITEs to the client, thus avoiding the
need to ever open its own connection.

In my (relatively limited) experience with FS, it was able to act like a
SIP outbound server, but it doesn't directly advertise it and supporting
SIP outbound is really outside of the core scope of what FS does. So, in my
setup, I use Kamailio to provide the SIP outbound support. A brief
description of my setup (which seems to work fine with clients behind NAT)

Kamailio edge proxy cluster (provides SIP outbound support to clients,
allows public SIP traffic)
Kamailio proxy + registrar (only allows SIP traffic from inside the local
network, provides registration support)
Freeswitch (only allows SIP traffic from inside the local network, has a
public IP address and open firewall for RTP traffic).

So, a registration from a client hits the Kamailio edge proxy, which parks
the socket connection and sends it on to the second Kamailio
proxy/registrar. When FS needs to make outbound calls to clients, it hits
the Kamailio proxy/registrar, which forwards it to the edge proxy that has
an existing connection the client and uses it to deliver the invite (this
is all handled by Kamailio with it's outbound, path, registrar, and usrloc
modules).

Note your setup might not require the use of two layers of proxies before
FS. In my case, I keep registrations off of FS so it's only handling calls.
If you have registrations in FS, you can likely just have a Kamailio edge
proxy for advertising SIP outbound support, and have it proxy all traffic
into FS.

With this setup, FS will receive SIP traffic from Kamailio, and advertise
(in the SDP) its public IP address for RTP media (which needs to be allowed
through the firewall). Freeswitch will then open what it refers to as an
auto-adjust window for the RTP media. In other words, FS will assume that
the first address/port to send RTP media to the RTP port configured for a
call is the remote client for that call. As a result, FS is able to cope
with clients behind NAT on the media side as well. I believe this feature
is enabled by default, but you may have to enable it - you'd have to check
the docs on this one.

With those two pieces combined you should be able to get past any NAT
issues without the need for STUN/TURN. Unless you bypass media on FS, in
which case you're going to need those.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit.

Best,
Colin