[Freeswitch-users] Linux clocksource TSC vs HPET

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 19:55:49 MSK 2016

These things mainly come up when someone is trying to overload a system or
drag more out of it.
If its already working, there is no need to mess with the clock source.
HPET is for sure more accurate and can come in handy when doing heavy load
because, yes, it uses the cpu but it does so from the kernel which has
priority,  You want timing to always have priority.
If you are triggering real time throttling issues, you are probably pushing
the box pretty hard.  This is considered very advanced tuning and we don't
really endorse it for community level support.

Consider contacting consulting at freeswitch.org for advanced support.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 6:22 AM, François <fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to find a solution for an "RT throttling" issue under
> relatively high load (20cps) on linux 3.10 and CPU Xeon E5-1650v2
> (6cores). A similar jira ticket FS-8620 has a recommendation to set the
> clocksource to "hpet":
>
> echo hpet >
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
>
> I read somewhere that the default clocksource (TSC) is lighter in CPU
> usage because it only requires reading a register that is synchronized
> across all cores...
>
> Considering FreeSWITCH needs:
>
> -> Is HPET recommended over the default "TSC" clock?
>
> -> Does a change in clocksource have immediate effects or does it
> require an FS restart/reboot?
>
> -> Also, is it recommended to disable RT-throttling to resolve these
> types of issues?
>
> echo -1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us
> echo -1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_period_us
>
> Thanks,
> François.

> http://confluence.freeswitch.org

Anthony Minessale II       ♬ @anthmfs  ♬ @FreeSWITCH  ♬