[Freeswitch-users] Frustrating and inconsistent log format !

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:05:44 MSK 2016

> Why do log lines start with UUID ?  Its format is hard to define and
> subject to the developer's whims ....why not start the line with a
> date, like almost any other sane program,  and put the UUID elsewhere
> ?

If you don't like the uuid at the front, just remove it from the
logfile.conf.xml configuration

<param name="uuid" value="false" />

You've clearly not attempted to debug complex scenarios, where the uuid at
the front is more useful, because when you have hundreds or thousands of
calls and you are trying to figure out what happened with a particular call
leg, you search for the uuid first, date second.

The format you despise, is terribly useful, so try to understand it rather
than just hate it because is different to what you're used to.

> Why on earth is the log format so inconsistent ? e.g.
>
> Sometimes developers feel like giving us a date ....
>
> 7d28af7d-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-2e20e2bXXXX 2016-01-13 12:00:47.198394 [DEBUG]
> switch_core_state_machine.c:636
>
> Sometimes they even manage the date in a sensible location ....
>
> 2016-01-13 11:58:14.838392 [DEBUG] sofia.c:9124
>
> Other times they can't be bothered to provide such a critical piece of
> information.....
>
> 4891efd5-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-58d153b8XXXX Dialplan: sofia/internal/

This is by design, not a whim, and many of us like it, makes routing logs
easy to spot. Some people instead of calling these design decisions whims,
actually provided a solution so it fits what they prefer:

https://freeswitch.org/jira/browse/FS-6805
https://freeswitch.org/stash/projects/FS/repos/freeswitch/pull-requests/44/overview

So you can add this to switch.conf.xml:

<param name="dialplan-timestamps" value="true"/>

And you get the behavior you want. Please spend the time learning the
software rather than blaming the devs because you can't understand it or
because they have preferences different than yours.

Please devs... spend a little time cleaning up the logging ... it
> helps debugging and troubleshooting so much if we have some
> consistency there !!!!!

Consistency is good, but certain functionality cannot be provided if every
single line has exactly the same format. Some log lines are not associated
to a session, so they can't have a uuid at all. The FreeSWITCH logs are as
consistent as is possible in a given context.