[Freeswitch-users] Longtime working user's phone now disconnecting

Larry Morley lmorley at neny.cslimits.net
Tue Jan 12 22:12:39 MSK 2016

As previously noted, this is slightly off topic. That said, I felt I'd be
remiss if I didn't add a note to this thread.

We had customers experience the same problem - and others apparently
stemming from the same root cause - particularly with this ISP. And, it
turned out they had experienced the same problems with their phone service
when they were receiving it from the company before us.

The cause of that problem, along with others such as users receiving calls
from their own extensions several times an hour, 24x7, were ultimately
determined to be the result of Comcast having an incompatible SIP ALG
enabled on the CPE: a SIP ALG that's properly implemented and properly
working shouldn't cause any issues. Also, the users that experienced the
worst variants of these problems had a SIP ALG, and apparently other ALGs
for other protocols, enabled on their own routers.

Calling Comcast technical support and requesting that they change the
"cable router" settings, then power cycling the CPE and the local routers
as necessary, invariably solved the problem(s) we'd been experiencing.

Note that in the course of fixing these issues, we discovered that,
according to the current DOCSIS specifications, by design,  end users
aren't supposed to be able to modify much with respect to DOCSIS "cable
modem" settings. That's why we decided to go the ISP tech support route
first.

We haven't seen a recurrence of any of the problems noted initially since
we made the changes noted, well over six months ago.

Hopefully this is of use to someone.

Sincerely,
Larry Morley