[Freeswitch-users] AMD

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Tue Feb 16 23:47:46 MSK 2016

If you’re actually doing one huge conference so you need all calls into a single FS instance, ignore this message.

I might be a broken record on this topic, but seriously consider running multiple FreeSWITCH instances and setting affinity to specific sockets or even groups of cores. I’d be surprised to hear a quad-socket system is price/perf competitive with multiple smaller boxes.

At a minimum, you want to partition on NUMA nodes, otherwise every single memory access needs to jump through other processors. For instance, if CPU0 wants memory that’s connected to CPU3, it needs to request it via CPU1 then CPU3. This is slow (a single hop introduces a ~40% penalty). After that, anytime threads are writing to the same part of memory, CPUs have to take ownership from each other’s caches. This can be as expensive as going to main memory (thus being as slow as having no cache) and kill perf.

Presumably with enough media load, you’d want to look into how your NIC is delivering packets, and distribute that accordingly.

On Xeon 5500 series (a while ago, on FS 1.2) we didn’t notice any real impact of hyperthreading either way. But keeping FS partitioned on groups of 4 threads (2 cores) seemed to be the best performing option. The increase in stability was very marked (versus one FS process across 2x Xeons, 16 threads).

-Michael