[Freeswitch-users] High availability on different networks

Emrah lists at kavun.ch
Thu Feb 11 19:53:55 MSK 2016

Hi list,
I’m writing to gather your thoughts and suggestions on how to have a high availability FS setup on different networks.

I am trying to achieve the following:
 - Load balance FreeSWITCH instances on 2 or more servers, possibly in different countries.
- Shared user directory and dialplan, but I’m not sure if shared registrations would make sense.
- If a server goes down, the phone should register on the alternative servers. Obviously we can’t keep calls up.

I’m obviously not the first one out there doing this. I’m trying to learn from those who’ve come up with reliable solutions.

I’ve tried sharing a registration table among multiple FS instances. But it was a beginners mistake. Even with the right path to reach the client, only the invites sent from the server used by the phone would be processed.
If my phone registers on server A, then server A shares the info with server B, server B knows how to contact the phone but it won’t be able to. Supposedly because of NAT issues.

I am aiming for fully independent FS instances that can back each other up and be used independently. I am guessing this would require some sort of SBC or external registrar server with a Kamailio or Repro.

Anyway just trying to spark the conversation around this subject and hopefully we can come up with a formula that can help many with their FS deployments. My provider’s network just went all down in IPv4 and HA behind the same provider proved to be useless.

Best,