[Freeswitch-users] Best practices for determining if originated call is answered by human or voicemail system?

Bob Hartwig bobjectsfreeswitch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:28:42 MSK 2016

I have a client that needs to reliably detect if their outbound calls are
answered by a human or voicemail system, so that they can take different
actions based on that determination.

I looked at the AVMD module documentation at
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/mod_avmd , and it
seems to indicate that this simply detects a beep, i.e. it does not use
talking / silence heuristics into account to determine if the call is
answered by a human or machine.

Am I correct about that?  How is this intended to be used, do I assume that
the call is answered by a human until this module sends a avmd%3A%3Abeep
event to me?  How do others use this module or other techniques to
determine human / machine answer to outbound calls with Freeswitch?

Thanks!
Bob