[Freeswitch-users] Sounds and moh format.

Mirko Brankovic mirkobrankovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:06:17 MSD 2016

Hi,
Be assured that if all your sounds are in 8k and you call in Asterisk with
Opus 48k asterisk has to do the transcoding.

The difference that fs vs * is doing is that it is not playing file for
every channel that is requesting it, but moh files are streamed constantly
as local://stream so it will just append that stream to channel that is
requesting it.

So if you place *hold_music* on channel by codec they are using, so for
example on calls from Opus/48k to use music/48000/ then there shouldn't be
any transcoding.

So my opinion Asterisk approach is good if you have a lot of different MOH
files and not so many calls asking for them (but you can mimic same
behavior with playback also) and FS way of sreeaming and appending to
stream is better for more users requesting it, in case you don't have
thousands of moh files :)

Hope it helps and if i'm wrong in something maybe someone with more
knowledge will correct me.

Regards,
Mirko

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Mimiko <vbvbrj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In asterisk sounds and moh a delivered as files encoded to different
> codec like ulaw, alaw, gsm and so on. FS deliver sounds in .wav file
> with different discretisation frequency like 8k, 16k, 32k, 48k.
>
> If asterisk has the leg in one format, it will fetch the corresponding
> file to other party not doing any decode/encode of the sound. FS needs
> to encode every time into corresponding codec of the client.
>
> Which approach is better from performance view?
>
> --
> Mimiko desu.

> http://confluence.freeswitch.org

Regards,