[Freeswitch-users] Hostname vs IP in SDP

Colin Morelli colin.morelli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:53:09 MSD 2016

Interesting. So far it has worked on all clients except WebRTC. It seems
strange to me that putting a hostname in an SDP wouldn't be allowed, but
it's far from the weirdest thing I've seen in some these specs.

I'm fine with having IPs in the SDP for pretty much all cases, except for
the iPhone where it is supposedly necessary to not use IP literals. So I
guess I have two questions then:

1. Is there a way in FS to explicitly set an advertised IP address through
a channel var? Actually, in this case I would just define a few options in
vars.xml and then use expansion. Something like,
advertised_rtp_ip=${local_ipv4} or advertised_rtp_ip=${local_ipv6}

2. How are people deciding whether to advertise IPv4/IPv6 if FS
*isn't* handling
registrations. Say, for example, Kamailio handles registrations. FS only
knows if it'll talk to Kamailio via 4 or 6, but not what Kamailio will use
to talk to the clients. Is there a best practice here for supporting dual
stack?

Best,
Colin