[Freeswitch-users] Scaling Freeswitch

Jurijs Ivolga jurijs.ivolga at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 11:56:34 MSD 2016

Hi,

Am I understanding correctly? I assume Kamailio would remove itself from
> the media flow in this case, leaving just Client --> FS --> Client for
> media transfer, right?

Correct, Kamailio is not involved in media exchange.

It sounds like this still wouldn't remove the need for shared state
> management across the FS cluster, though. So, you'd have a Kamailio cluster
> backed by a database processing SIP registrations and location information,
> backed by FS with a shared database storing call state. This should allow
> the failure of either a Kamailio instance and/or FS instance and still
> allow the call to be recovered. It'll also allow you to offload all SIP
> registration to Kamailio and it's database, while leaving FS freed up for
> media/call routing. Does this sound right?

It depends, personally I would not have share db between Freeswitch
servers. How often you expect one Freeswitch server to fail? In this case
shared DB will help only with call recover, so if one server fails second
will take care of a call, but if you don't have this then existing calls on
that server will drop with server. Again it depends on your requirements if
this death and life question, then probably you need to have shared DB, but
in almost all other cases, I doubt. I don't expect that freeswitch will
fail often, but shared DB will add much more complexity in to this
architecture, so again you need to look to your requirements and then you
need to decide what is best way for you.

With kind regards,

Jurijs