[Freeswitch-users] Scaling Freeswitch

Jurijs Ivolga jurijs.ivolga at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 01:16:55 MSD 2016

Hi,

If Kamailio is the registrar, what role does it play in call routing? For
> example, if a call hits FS and I instruct FS to bridge to a user, how is
> that performed? Or does all call routing now need to be performed on
> Kamailio, since it's the one that's aware of where users are (and their
> associated presence)?

You can configure Kamailio and Freeswitch in anyway you need, Kamailio can
be call router, freeswitch can be call router and both of them
simultaneously can be call routers :)

But if we will take following manual as starting point:

http://kb.asipto.com/freeswitch:kamailio-3.1.x-freeswitch-1.0.6d-sbc

Then users location DB will be in Kamilio and information regarding users
will be stored in Kamailio, so Freeswitch will not know where user located
and all calls between extensions will go through Freeswitch and then will
be looped back to Kamailio and Kamailio will decide where to route call.

So in this case Kamailio is call router and it decides where to route
calls, for example 44 prefix is routed to "vbox"(voicemail).

Nevertheless you can add some additional routing on Freeswitch too if
necessary, for example if you need to send calls to PSTN and you need
transcoding.

Nevertheless it is still possible to route PSTN calls directly from
Kamailio too, without freeswitch.

With kind regards,

Jurijs