[Freeswitch-users] Announcement: FreeSWITCH on PPC, FreeScale, POWER platforms

Larry Morley lmorley at neny.cslimits.net
Wed Sep 9 09:37:50 MSD 2015

Hello,

We're working on porting FS to the POWER architecture, from PPC G4 to
POWER 8,  with specific  hardware and software platforms to be
determined by the level of interest expressed in any given one.

We've strongly advocated the use of PPC/POWER processors since early
on, for both general purpose computing and in specific problem
domains. The decision by IBM, Tyan, and other industry leaders to
undertake the OpenPOWER initiative, combined with the recent
availability of a POWER 8 system from Tyan
[http://www.tyan.com/campaign/openpower/index.html], has reaffirmed
our commitment to, and strengthened our belief in, the potential of
this architecture, and how outstanding it is from any number of
perspectives - including cost vs. benefit.

Currently, we're testing a build of a port of the latest release of
FreeSWITCH using G4 and G5 based systems capable of running Debian
"Jessie". We've been careful to maintain the structure of the
supporting libraries, building them only as .deb packages. Feature
test results so far have been better than promising; and, we have no
reason to believe the results of the remaining tests will be any less
so.

If you're interested in development of FS on a PPC / POWER platform,
or would like more information on the current status of our project,
please contact me.

Thanks,
Larry

Larry Morley