[Freeswitch-users] systemd won't enable for automatic start of FS

Larry Morley lmorley at neny.cslimits.net
Mon Sep 7 20:36:46 MSD 2015

This is really more general information than anything specific to your
problem; that said, I'm posting this as my fingers got singed a time or
two, courtesy of it.

When I encounter an error slash problem like the one you did, one of the
first things I usually do - unless I have a reason not to - is: check to
see that the ownership and permissions on the directories a daemon's PID
file. log file, etc., are supposed to be written to will allow the daemon
(or other program) to actually write from / read to those files. I also
check same on any temp directories the program uses and directories
containing configuration files.

One way to do this that's relatively safe is this:  say, for example, I had
a daemon named "dproc" that was supposed to run as user "dproc", group "
dproc", with the. pid file going in /usr/local/xware/run . If I were to run:

sudo -u dproc -g dproc touch /usr/local/xware/dproc.pid

I would know near immediately whether that user and group would have
problems accessing that file. And why.

The other that's proved to be helpful is checking the permissions and
ownership of a parent directory; using the above example again, if I saw
that the output of

ls -ld /usr/local/xware

was

dr-x------  nobody  nobody ...

then I'd probably wind up saving myself a bit of time and grief.

Hope that's of help to someone.

- Larry