[Freeswitch-users] FS6947 - Tuning Opus bandwidth

Emrah lists at kavun.ch
Sun May 31 08:09:26 MSD 2015

Hi list,

I re-read FS6947 and don't understand how this problematic was addressed and the issue fixed.
The scope is simple. There should be a setting in the dialplan that allows downsampling of Opus for applications that do not require the 48khz / 2 channels framework. I.e.: terminating to the PSTN with Opus to take advantage of low bandwidth and great PLC.
There seems to be a lot of confusion around bandwidth in general there. It doesn't matter if the internal clock of the device is always sampling at 48khz / 2ch. There are settings that can facilitate a lower bandwidth consumption for particular use cases, and it seems the reason it is not being implemented in FS is just a matter of being confused about the intent of the 48khz 2ch base.
Please revisit this issue. FS should allow tuning of Opus audio / network bandwidth in the dialplan. It would optimize greatly lots of use cases.
If I'm calling the PSTN, I'd rather have my client downsample and stream at a lower bandwidth, even if my audio capture would still be at 48khz / 2ch as per the RFC, and save on bandwidth, than transcode the full 48khz spectrum into PCM on my FS and minimize processing power on the client's side.

Jira here: https://freeswitch.org/jira/browse/FS-6947

Emrah