[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch memory leakage.

I put the Who? in Mishehu mishehu at freeswitch.org
Fri Mar 27 19:29:37 MSK 2015

And even that being said, Aqs Younas, the original poster of the
question, has never actually described his situation as causing a
stability problem for any the freeswitch instances or the other running
programs on those servers.  This may simply be an incorrect assumption
from the standpoint of how everybody is taught basic memory management:
free whatever you've allocated as soon as your done with that given object.

In case our original poster (and anybody else who is curious) isn't as
experienced with memory pools, the general idea behind their use in
FreeSWITCH is to cut down on memory fragmentation. Every time you
allocate an object, the operating system has to map out some memory for
you to use.  If you do this too often for too small of an amount of
memory, you can negatively impact the performance of the application and
the system as a whole.  Memory pooling adds another layer onto the
memory management in that FreeSWITCH in this case requests a larger
block of memory for allocation, but then it allocates smaller objects
off of that pool.  This is especially beneficial when the allocations
happen from within the same places.  It also makes releasing this memory
a lot simpler because we then simply free the current memory pool, and
all objects on that given pool are technically no longer valid objects
("freed").  But it frees the memory pool back to the master memory pool
that FreeSWITCH uses, and that grows, as Brian stated, up to a given
"high water mark".  It's only when FreeSWITCH stops running that is
releases all those blocks of allocated memory back to the operating
system.  When used properly and in the right situations, as we do in
FreeSWITCH, memory pools are more efficient.

So 3 GB of RAM used by the application with mod_vlc do not seem to be
such a stretch.  Heck, I routinely have Mozilla Firefox and Google
Chrome each grab more RAM than that.  In other words, if there's no
actual stability issue, this sounds like it's a case of FreeSWITCH
working in the way it has been engineered to do so.

--
Yossi Neiman