[Freeswitch-users] External Softphone Best Practices

Komar, Jason jkomar at jbox.ca
Tue Jun 30 23:35:29 MSD 2015

I have set up a couple of PBXs using FreeSWITCH over the last few years. I
have learned quite a bit, but am certainly no expert.

Recently, I installed Bria on my Android cell phone and was using it to
make calls over FreeSWITCH throughout our building on our local network
wifi. I wanted to be able to make calls from offsite as well, sometimes on
wifi and sometimes over cellular data. I setup an external5090 profile as I
read on the wiki (didn't see anything in confluence yet). I was able to
register through this profile, but outgoing calls from my softphone hit the
public context and didn't go any further.

The user_context variable is set to default in my directory entry for this
user, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I tried two things that
worked, but am not sure if they open up any holes that would cause security
problems:

1.) If I set the context to default rather than public in the external5090
profile, it works, but I am unsure if this is at all secure.

2.) If I leave the context as public in the external5090 profile and
uncomment this section in the public.xml dialplan,

    <!--
If you have made it this far lets challenge the caller and if they
authenticate
lets try what they dialed in the default context. (commented out by default)
    -->

    <extension name="check_auth" continue="true">
      <condition field="${sip_authorized}" expression="^true$"
break="never">
<anti-action application="respond" data="407"/>
      </condition>
    </extension>

    <extension name="transfer_to_default">
      <condition>
<action application="transfer" data="${destination_number} XML default"/>
      </condition>
    </extension>

it also works. This one seems the better option, but again, I'm not sure so
I am asking the opinion of the experts on the list.

I spent several hours searching and reading everything I could find through
Google and the mailing list archives, but came up a bit short.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason
jkomar at jbox.ca