[Freeswitch-users] How to measure QOS?

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:29:58 MSK 2015

Two clarify this point... Most codecs are lossless, but don't necessarily
throw the same information away so going through multiple codecs can throw
out more information than using a single codec. Probably not an issue as
long as the call isn't being transcoded *many* times. Also (software)
transcoding uses more CPU and therefore it reduces the capacity of your
server, which means you may get audio issues from an overloaded CPU at
lower volumes.

Most of the time audio issues will be network related - either jitter or
packet loss. Wireshark will reveal those. There are also a number of rtp
statistics in the XML CDR which includes information on RTP packet loss and
jitter, and a computed quality score.