[Freeswitch-users] How to calculate Hardware System Requirements (VM)

Shaun Stokes shaun.stokes at itec-support.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 15:19:12 MSK 2015

Hi Dmitry,

Dialplans and other features will make a considerable difference, dialplans in particular are can be very IO intensive which may be more of problem for some hyper-visors.

We're currently processing on average 50 concurrent calls (peak 15 calls per second) with no dialplans on a Hyper-V VM using 4 cores (Xeon E5310 or equivalent), the system has an average CPU utilization of 5%. Previously the same VM but with 8 cores was being used as a hosted PBX with roughly 1000 endpoints, dialplans of various sizes, G711A only codec, but the same amount of call traffic and there were significant CPU spikes which caused missing or broken audio. We moved the hosted PBX services to a physical server of the same spec which resolved the CPU spikes and has an average CPU utilization of 50%, we still use the VM for processing call routing but our SIP profiles are attached to LUA scripts for faster call processing (not using dialplans).

8GB of RAM should be more than enough for most deployments. Postgres SQL has always worked well for running FreeSWITCH in our environment but this has been optimized.

A physical server will always perform better, but if you must virtualize you should try to use a hyper-visor which others can recommend, performance will vary depending on your environment. We've tested with Amazon EC2 Compute and performance is significantly better than Hyper-V, but for environment a physical server is still the better option.

Information here might help:
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Virtualization

Thanks,
Shaun