[Freeswitch-users] Internal and external ip addresses

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 04:19:43 MSD 2015

the profile names ("external", "internal") don't really mean anything,
and they are just default suggestions that work for most situations
out of the box. You can create as many SIP profiles as needed, and
even delete the default ones.

The "internal" profile binds to port 5060 and authenticates all
incoming SIP requests. Usually it's used for the SIP clients to
register at FS and authenticate against the directory.

The "external" profile binds to port 5080 and does not authenticate
incoming SIP calls. Usually it's used to register at ITSP accounts and
to communicate with them. Also this profile may accept SIP calls from
anyone in the public Internet.

Both profiles have parameters that define their IP address binding:
the server may have several NICs, or it may be placed behind the NAT,
so you may need to influence FreeSWITCH in how it associates a SIP
profile with an IP address. You may also need to specify the public
NAT address explicitly.

For an SBC, for example, other SIP profile names would be more
convenient: "inside", "outside". You may also need different profiles
for SIP clients registering from internal LAN and from public
internet.

Same way with contexts -- "default" and "public" are only suggestions
how to organize the dialplan, but you may have a completely different
set of contexts. I covered this shortly in my tutorial:
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/FreeSWITCH+PBX+Example

cheers
s.