[Freeswitch-users] KVM vs. XEN virtualization

Dmitry Lysenko dvl36.ripe.nick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:09:40 MSD 2015

> 1) 125uS is the interval between FrameSync of ONE(!) PCM sample at 8000hz,
> But here we are talking about packet telephony where commonly used frame
> length is 20000 uS.
> So, intervals for testing should be 5000-10000-20000uS, not 125uS.
>
> Not all FS installation has SIP endpoint. Some can have TDM cards, USB
> dongle and other analog equipment. Can you say what is length of this frame
> type?
> I am wondering about this question. I know that the frame 125ms is enough.

Most(if not all) of modern equipment have buffers. TDM cards too. Even
$0.25 microcontrollers have buffers.
Firing interrupts at each PCM sample not needed.
If you want massive sync audio processing (w/o buffering) you can use hard
realtime OS. PC and Linux (even on bare metal) is not suitable for this, at
least without RT patched kernel.

> 2) Why you decided that all of 42 threads should wake up simultaneously?
> That totally impossible in real world applications.
> Here should be tens of uS. Dependent of network card and, possibly, other
> I/O hardware.
>
> Can you say how many FS create threads for 40-50 active calls?

AFAIR, 1 thread per call leg, but depends of endpoints. Most of time
threads in I/O waiting/sleeping and encoding/decoding state.

> 3) -q switch is missing
> I am thinking it is optional. Result is same

Dynamic output to screen consumes resources. How much, depends on
method.(VGA, Serial console, SSH). In my case difference is significiant.
So, fair testing should exclude such things, IMO.

> 4) Precise time measurement and realtime processing in VM environment  is
> a challenge.
> To obtain acceptable results fine tuning of host's and guest's  required.
> WIthout that this numbers ... does not mean anything.
>
> Can you learn me how to correctly measure timer source quality in VM?

Serious players, as Wind River, use external timer.

In your case, most capable realtime hypervisor with RT_PREEMPT guest would
be one of the best solution.

Dmitry.