[Freeswitch-users] DTMF strange problems

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:57:39 MSK 2014

> I looked at PCAPs for concerned calls, and saw that DTMF tones are only
> sent with RFC2833, not with SIP INFO nor InBand.
> I first thought that digits may be received simultaneously with RFC2833
> and InBand but definitely not.

Is that end-to-end, or are they reaching you via someone else? Or something
else (ATA adapter)? If so perhaps some inband->RFC2833 is happening between
you and them that's introducing the bad digit.

If not can you share the PCAP (or just its RFC2833 packets)? That might
explain what's happening.

Do you think what could be the cause of that ? I don't use  "start_dtmf" in
> my diaplans, I already saw in other ML topics that this may cause double
> digit problems.

That's only if there's inband and out-of-band (RFC2833/INFO) DTMF at the
same time. There's no issue otherwise, but using it on a call without
inband DTMF is a waste of CPU.

If you're getting RFC2833 then any inband audio will only cause double
digits if you run start_dtmf, inband will be ignored by default.

Is there a way to ask freeswitch to only handle 0-9*# characters ? Or any
> idea, I'll be glad to try anything that can help us !

The problem is RFC2833 will be saying the 1 digit finished before the C one
started, FS can only interpret it as its told to.