[Freeswitch-users] version 1.4.4 or 1.5.13b

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Tue May 27 18:15:50 MSD 2014

On May 27, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Sean Devoy <sdevoy at bizfocused.com> wrote:

> Thank you Iskren.  It is really nice to see complete answer with examples for those of us that are not fully git literate.
>
> I have a couple of questions.  One technical and one more opinion/political.
>
> 1.   Running 1.2 stable on CENTOS 5.x.  Can I “make current” to get to 1.4 or do I have to change git paths to move up? I am pretty sure it is the latter, but it is a production machine, so I would like to be 100% clear.

I would not try a make current to get up to 1.4, additionally, there are new build requirements for system libs that require versions newer than the ones that are available in centos5, if you really must continue to use such an old distro, you will have to manually install those libraries or package them yourself.  More information and a handy script at:

https://confluence.freeswitch.org/display/FREESWITCH/CentOS+5

> 2.   I read quite a few disgruntled messages from FS users upgrading to CENTOS 6.x.  Then I read a comment by Anthony that seemed to indicate Debian may not be ready for prime time – but I absolutely may have misinterpreted what he was saying.  I would like to move to the latest stable environment.  As a Linux noob this is a hard decision.  So here are my questions about OS:
> a.   What is the (or an) optimal OS for FS on quad 2.8CPU, 1GB RAM, 500+GB disk. < 100 users!
> b.   What should I expect to be different in the few tools I use?  Iptables, fail2ban, rsh, Apache, php, mysql?

You misunderstood Anthony saying it wasn't ready for prime time, Debian is our recommended platform at this point.