[Freeswitch-users] IVR codec issue (I think)

Sean Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Thu May 22 04:33:24 MSD 2014

Hi Guillermo,

Thank you for your response.  I wish understood more, but let me tell what I know and ask you another question.

My (voice) ISP only supports “ULaw, ALaw, GSM and G729a”
My phones are all Cisco504G’s.  They support “G711u, G711a, G729a, G722, G726-16 (-24, -24 and -32).  Then there are 2 other items that must be relevant: “DTMF Process AVT: Yes or No” and “DTMF Tx method: Inband, AVT, Info, Auto, Inband + Info, AVT + Info”

I think Tx Method defaulted to AVT+Info as I got warnings about receive DTMF in INFO on FS.  I am set to AVT and DTMF is working fine.

Here is what I think (I would know, but it may not be correct) about codecs:
G711u = ULaw, G711a=ALaw, The phones don’t seem to support GSM (?) and my VISP doesn’t support 722 or any 726. So that leaves me with G711a, G711u, G729.  I have abundant bandwidth everywhere involved.  I know G729 is fairly high quality compression with regard to bandwidth vs audio quality. I also know I have to get a license for each G729 channel on FS for about $10 each.

I do not understand the difference in G711u and G711a.

What is my best choice for DTMF Tx Method?  And codec?

Thank you for your time.
Sean