[Freeswitch-users] Is QoS needed / beneficial?

Francis sms at icefire.qza.net.au
Tue May 13 18:24:56 MSD 2014

Yes. :)

The long answer is, unless your provider's bandwith is _guaranteed_ to
_always_ be greater than your total requirements, there will be
potential bottlenecks as traffic from different nodes compete with one
another. Bear in mind that one server downloading updates is enough to
reduce inbound SIP calls to a jittery, garbled mess. Add to that the
fact that most (all?) providers have no QoS policy at all, so you are
reliant on on a router that is capable of bidirectional control, not
just inbound.

Having said that, do you know if the firewall or ADTRAN are running some
kind of QoS policy already? You might not need to buy extra parts.....

Francis

On 2014-05-14 06:05, Jason Moran wrote:

> We currently plug our CentOS 5.x FreeSWITCH server directly into our service provider's ADTRAN to connect with the outside world, and to a switch for intranet (of which a 2nd firewall is connected there and to the ADTRAN for our other servers). We are shopping for other providers who are shocked that we don't have a router in between that is doing QoS to prioritize the voice/SIP traffic.
>
> Is a router w/ QoS capabilities a good idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

> http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com [1]
>

>  [2]