[Freeswitch-users] New approach for integrating FreeSWITCH and HylaFax

Markus Lindenberg markus.lindenberg at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:47:18 MSD 2014

Hi,

We just open sourced GOfax.IP, a project i've been working on for the
better part of the last two months.
It's a new (and I think best yet) way to bring "native" Fax over IP using
T.38 or G711 to HylaFAX Fax servers by directly connecting HylaFAX to
FreeSWITCH's mod_spandsp without any modem emulation layer.

We replaced the faxgetty and faxsend processes with versions that use
FreeSWITCH to handle incoming and outgoing calls.

https://github.com/gonicus/gofaxip

We wanted to have a solution that brings all the power of rxfax/tfax to
HylaFax. FreeSWITCH's modem emulation has to be chained to t38_gateway to
use T.38, and in my tests that didn't work as well as using txfax/rxfax, so
I looked at how capi4hylafax hooks into HylaFax and implemented that
approach for FreeSWITCH.

I'd love to hear thoughts/suggestions and am happy to accept bug reports
and contributions.

Regards,

Markus