[Freeswitch-users] Is FAXing reliable on FreeSwitch w/ T.38

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 2 07:00:43 MSD 2014

On 05/02/2014 04:34 AM, Steven Schoch wrote:
> I'm using a Grandstream HT502, connected via our LAN to FreeSWITCH,
> and then out via Flowroute. It works sometimes. I'm not that
> concerned, because the high failure rate helps convince my users to
> use a more modern solution, like the nice Dell MFP that can scan to
> PDF.
>
> You would think that someone would make a VoIP FAX machine that plugs
> directly into a LAN, but I haven't seen anything I'd be willing to
> buy.
>
> Short summary: Even with a T.38 gateway, VoIP FAX is marginal.

Some of the big floor standing MFCs support T.38. They even support T.38
over TCP, where it is reliable even if the network is very poor. That
requires an end-to-end T.38 over TCP connection, so its generally only
closed user groups which can make use of it. Its very common for MFCs of
all sizes to support an approximation to T.37, but its usually rather
clumsy to use.

A few (very few) smaller T.38 capable FAX machines have been produced.
Sagem have a couple of inexpensive ones. They never seemed to catch on.

Regards,
Steve