[Freeswitch-users] Is FAXing reliable on FreeSwitch w/ T.38

bruce at sqls.net bruce at sqls.net
Fri May 2 07:01:07 MSD 2014

------ Original Message ------
From: "Steve Underwood" <steveu at coppice.org>
To: "FreeSWITCH Users Help" <freeswitch-users at lists.freeswitch.org>
Sent: 5/1/2014 9:46:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-users] Is FAXing reliable on FreeSwitch w/ T.38

>85% success rate on the first try is appalling. You should be getting
>well below 1% failures on any half decent setup.
>
>Regards,
>Steve

Well, Steve.  I would absolutely LOVE to learn what I'm doing wrong so I
could get higher success rates.  I'd buy beer, amazon gifts, send cash,
and give praise if I could get some improvement!

For what it's worth, I'm running FreeSWITCH 1.2.23 on CentOS 6.5 on a
old (maybe this is the issue? but I've read that even a modest system
should be fine) Dell with Intel Pentium(R) D 2.8G cpu and 4GB of ram
connected over a fiber internet connection to Flowroute.  I've also
tried Babytel since they're supposedly good for faxing but there doesn't
seem to be much of a difference.

I've tried a range of different settings for spandsp but generally my
current defaults is to just enable t38, request t38, enable ecm, and
enable v17.  My LUA script allows me to adjust the settings per CID/DID
and for some I've dropped v17.

I'm also logging details of faxes and keeping pcap records but I just
don't know enough about reading the files in wireshark to understand
where the issue is.

Also, the -vast- majority of my faxes are inbound, if that matters.