[Freeswitch-users] Is FAXing reliable on FreeSwitch w/ T.38

Sean Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Thu May 1 20:39:53 MSD 2014

I have had some bad experiences trying to get reliable FAX support over VOIP (FS).  However, I have not used T.38 capable ATAs.

For the purposes of my questions please assume I am faxing FROM a fax machine over IP into the FS where I will "capture" it using <action application="rxfax" data="//my_directory//rxfax.tiff"/>

Does a T.38 capable ATA improve the success rate of sending a fax from the ATA just into FreeSwitch?

I have always thought T.38 was something you put on your Gateway Lines and I think I have forgotten my ATAs connections.

Also, what success rate have you had with end-to-end delivery of FAXes using T.38?  This accountant has heard FAXing is not reliable over VOIP.  So far, I think I agree with him.  Does T.38 really fix the problem?

Thanks,
Sean