[Freeswitch-users] Music detection

Muhammad Shahzad shaheryarkh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:43:51 MSK 2014

Thank you guys for your insight into this topic. I do understand that G.711
has limited audio bandwidth that Brian has already explained to me in
another thread. Thanks Brian.

However, as i understand there are wide band and ultra wide band codecs,
most of which FreeSWITCH already supports. These codecs have audio
bandwidth covering almost whole frequency range we as human can hear. Yes
these codecs may not be used for calls coming from or go to PSTN. But i am
not interested in PSTN origination and termination anyway. I am concerned
with high quality digital voice sent/received over good internet connection
using FreeSWITCH with these HD codecs.

If we consider the music as noise (most of the music nowadays is noise
anyway), how can we prevent it from being recorded, i know this can not be
guaranteed 100% but even 60 - 80% reduction / removal of music would be
good enough for me to start with. Just to mention, if somebody is talking
while the music playing, i don't mind that talk being skipped from
recording, the recording should contain talk with no music, (I think this
would simplify the solution as we just watch for highest frequency in audio
and if that is beyond a certain, predefined range, skip recording otherwise
record).

As i understand there are noise filtering techniques like voice activity
detection (VAD) or echo cancellation and so on, which may be applied to
this situation (although i don't understand much how they actually work).
Browsing the online FreeSWITCH docs, i found the module AVMD, that detects
voicemail by listening for "beep" sound, so i guess FreeSWITCH can
distinguish different frequency audio signals, i just want "not to process"
frequency signal that is above a certain frequency range.

Thank you.

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org